Saturday, February 18, 2017

Catherine Ellen Smith's Obituary

My cousin had a copy of Catherine Ellen Smiths Obituary so I though I would transcribe it for you.  She died on November 30th, 1937.

Mrs. Catherine Ellis Smith, 77, widow of Merrick L. Smith, died today at the Florence Lying-in hospital after a short illness.  She was born in Lee, Jan. 3, 1860, the daughter of John and Elizabeth (Gillespie) McCann. During most of her life she was a resident of Housatonic, coming to Northampton three years ago to make her home with her daughter, Mrs. David S. Wright. She leaves one daughter, Mrs. H.V. Bradbury of Dalton, and eight grandchildren. She was a member of the Housntonic chapter of the Eastern Star.  The body was removed to the Ely funeral home, 2 Pomeroy terrace, and commital service will take place Thursday afternoon at 2:300 in Lee cemetery, Lee.

A couple of things I noted in this.  First, the misspelled her middle name as Ellis instead of Ellen.  I also believe they got her mother wrong.  I have a birth record showing that her mother was Mary Clasby, and I have not been able to find any record of Elizabeth Gillespie.

No comments:

Post a Comment