Friday, April 28, 2023

Family Letters: Letter from John Dresser Lawrence

John D. Lawrence Calling Card
John D. Lawrence Calling Card



Evanston, Ill.
Nov. 6th, 1889

Dear Mother,

Received your letter tonight I was to sick to go to work today. Have not eaten anything tonight. all day was to sick to eat. It don't pay to work nights until 10 + eleven o'clock a get sick.

I have to have a new pair of shoes for Sun. but don't know where the money is coming from. I owe Uncle Al. $18 + some cents now on the suit. I hope he will raise my pay soon. He says himself that he cannot fill my place short of 9 or ten dollars a week. Mr. Smith says that I earn $8 if I do a card, but I will not ask for more if I never get it.

I hear that Jim's [ILLEGABLE] are getting quite thinck.

Must close ago to bed

With love.
J D. Lawrence.

No comments:

Post a Comment