Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Timothy Wheeler and the American Revolution


British Army in Concord Detail.jpg

By Digital image from: www.history.org Provenance details from: digitalgallery.nypl.org, Public Domain, Link

For holidays like Independence Day I always have grand plans on pulling a bunch of information and tell the stories of my ancestors that were involved. And I never really pull it off.  So instead you will get a bit of information and I will build it out when I get to that generation.  We have many ancestors who participated in the revolution as both patriots and loyalists.  This post will touch on one of the stories I really enjoy from the Wright side of the tree.

I've come across this story in multiple books but don't have a direct reference for it handy.  Timothy Wheeler was my Sixth Great Grandfather and a miller in Concord, MA at the time of the Battle of Lexington and Concord on April, 19th, 1775.   Here is how he participated:

The shrewd and successful address of Captain Timothy Wheeler on this occasion deserves notice. He had the charge of a large quantity of provincial flour, which, together with some casks of his own, was stored in his barn.
A British officer demanding entrance, he readily took his key and gave him admission. The officer expressed his pleasure at the discovery; but Captain Wheeler with much affected simplicity, said to him, putting his hand on a barrel,
"This is my flour. I am a miller, Sir. Yonder stands my mill. I get my living by it. In the winter I grind a great deal of grain, and get it ready for market in the spring. This," (pointing to one barrel) "is the
flour of wheat; this," pointing to another, '"is the flour of corn; this is the flour of rye; this," - putting his hand on his own casks, "is my flour; this is my wheat; this is my rye - this is mine.'"
"Well," said the officer, "we do not injure private property"; and withdrew leaving this important depository untouched.

This saved much of the town's supplies from the British.  Timothy would have been 79 years old at the time.

Below is a table that shows Timothy Wheeler's descendants to my grandfather.  Some of this still needs to be validated.

Relationship NameBirthDeath
6th Great GrandfatherTimothy Wheeler
March 8th, 1696
May 7th, 1782
6th Great GrandmotherAbigail Munroe1701
Lexington, MA
1743
Concord, MA
5th Great GrandfatherTimothy Wheeler1722
Concord, MA
1795
Concord, MA
4th Great GrandfatherTimothy Wheeler1752
Concord, MA
1820
Mason, NH
3rd Great GrandmotherAmy Wheeler1793
Mason, NH
1874
Whately, MA
2nd Great GrandmotherSarah Wheeler Sanders1823
Whately, MA
1918
Northampton, MA?
Great GrandmotherJane Caroline Reed1846
Whately, MA
1936
Northampton, MA
GrandfatherDavid Sanders Wright1887
Northampton, MA
1967
Amherst, MA



No comments:

Post a Comment