Sunday, February 21, 2016

Ervin Putnam's WWI diary

Ervin Earl Putnam
My grandfather, Ervin Earl Putnam was an X-Ray Technician during World War I.  He kept a diary of his time in the army which I will post here.  He also took a number of photos that I will incorporate where I can.  He labeled them with the place they were taken and the year.  I'll do my best to insert them in the diary where appropriate.  
  Currently, the original document has been misplaced,  so I am taking this from a transcription my brother did 20ish years ago. The diary generally contained a sentence or two per day, so I thought I would post a group by month.  Additionally, I'll try and create a map of the different cities he went to. Here is the first installment.  It is the information from the front of the diary, so is not tied to dates.


Corp. E.E.Putnam
Diary

Corp. Ervin E. Putnam
6 Elm Street
Houlton, ME
Home Phone: 297 M

Emergency Contact:  Amos Putnam, 6 Elm Street, Houlton, ME

Hospital: Base Camp Greene
Weight: 149 lb
Height: 5' 5"
Watch Make: South Bend
Shoe Size 7 1/2
Hosiery: 10 LL
Hat: 7
Contacts:
Clarence Caswell
838 Kursington Rd.
Los Angeles, CA
Joseph Fogerty
482 Delaware Ave.
New York, NY
Jim Gillin
1st Co. 1st Batt.
Depot Brigade
Camp Devens
Gus Dow
2nd Co. 1st Batt.
Depot Brigade
Camp Devens

No comments:

Post a Comment