Sunday, March 20, 2016

Remembering my Father at the Navy Memorial, Robert Ervin Putnam



Robert Ervin Putnam
My father, Robert Ervin Putnam, past away five years ago, next Sunday, March 27th.  His life and stories will take up lots of posts in the future.  This is just a quick post because of an experience I had last week. I was in Washington, DC for some meetings a came out of the metro at the Navy Monument.  It was random chance as I really should have stayed on and switched trains, but it was a nice day and I thought it would be nice to take a walk before my meeting.

As soon as I had gotten above ground, I realized where I was and I took some time to look around.  My understanding was that my father lied about his age so that he could join up during World War II.  He wanted to be a pilot, but some issues with his teeth caused him to redirect into the Navel Reserves.

I really don't have much information on his time in the reserves, so plan on doing some digging soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment